Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

My 8 year old cat rushed in last night, tail down, obviously

Customer Question

My 8 year old cat rushed in last night, tail down, obviously very frightened, then promptly started being sick - everything came up - ending with just saliva. She has since not really moved and appears just to want peace and quiet. I have felt her all over and there doesn't seem to be any pain. Not interested in food or water, although she purrs when stroked. She has always been a very timid cat (she is a rescue cat), and apparently was "bulled" as a kitten. Can you please help?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about Sophie's condition....she has been frightened by something so bad that it has caused a digestive disturbance. For now, give her pepcid AC or Famotidine that can be purchased at the chemist over the counter at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. This will calm down her tract so she is more comfortable.

Also, purchase Feliway at the pet store, This is a feline pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will decrease her anxiety from what has caused her this distress.

It may also help to provide supportive care such as 2-4 ounces of Pedialyte every 4 hrs and a dose of Nutrical available at the pet store every 4 hrs. This will give her teh nutrients she needs as well as stimulate her appetite and keep her hydrated as Sophie gets over this stress.

If there is no improvement, have your vet examine Sophie to be sure we have not missed something more serious.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Thank you so much, Elizabeth, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope Sophie feels better soon!

Have a wonderful day!