Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

Hi, My cat Joey is three years old and normally very active

My cat Joey is three years old and normally very active and well. We think he might have a cold as he has laboured breathing and a runny nose, he is not coughing or sneezing though. His nostrils are flaring every time he breaths as if he is working really hard to get some air.
He hasn't eaten or drunk anything for around 24 hours and is not moving or walking much.
I will take him to the vets tomorrow morning but am concerned that we may need to get the emergency out of hours vet out tonight, do you think he will be ok until the morning? I'm not sure what he needs or if he will just recover on his own, I only want to get a vet out if absolutely essential for him but I don't want him suffering if he is seriously ill.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.

Hello! Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you. I'm sorry that Joey is not feeling well, is he opening his mouth to get breaths too or just the nostrils flaring? Do you see the sides of his body also working hard to get air? Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Dan,
Thank you for your prompt response.
His mouth is shut and it's just his nostrils that are flaring.
His sides are working hard to get air and he is doing that every second. He is making little noises some of the time when he breaths.
His gums loon quite pale too but we aren't really sure what they are normally like.
Just really worried to leave him like this if he will get worse but don't want to get the vet out unnecessarily.
Lucy
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the information that was very helpful. If he had just the runny nose and weak appetite I'd say you could easily wait to see if the symptoms resolve on it's own. However with his flaring sides, 60 breaths per minute and vocalization when breathing he needs to see the vet immediately. This would not be an unnecessary trip to the vet at all in fact he could be suffering from pneumonia, chest fluid or heart problems and you may save his life. He needs to see the vet immediately.

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your help, we took Joey to th emergency vet and they are trying to determine what is causing him to breath like that, thanks for your advice.