Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My 8yr old very timid tom cat has started "spotting" everywhere,

Customer Question

My 8yr old very timid tom cat has started "spotting" everywhere, carpets, hard flooring he' driving us mad. He has access to a litter tray. HELP!!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has Milo been showing these signs?

By "spotting," do you mean that Milo is passing a small volume of urine?

Or is he spraying?

Does the urine look dilute or very dark/strong/odorous?

Or did you mean feces?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

About 3-4 days. Spotting clear urine diluted.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

If Milo is spotting small volumes of abnormally dilute urine in uncharacteristic places instead of spraying, then this in unlikely to be behavioral. Behavioral marking tends to lead to cats spraying on walls or furniture with normal pungent urine. So, do see spotting is abnormal and to see dilute urine is also abnormal. And together, this is more suggestive of a health issue for this elderly kitty. The most common cause for these signs would be a bladder infection. With his being older and the urine being dilute, we'd also have to consider underlying bladder stones, bladder tumors, and internal issues that could cause feline urinary dilution (ie kidney disease, diabetes, hyperthyroidism, liver disease, and heart troubles).

In this case, his signs are not likely to be behavioral and we would need to focus on health causes for this. Therefore, it would be ideal to collect a urine sample at this point. You can do so via keeping Milo in a uncarpeted room with an empty litter box. Wherever he goes, the sample can be collected for testing. His vet will be able to analyze the sample, determine if there are bacteria and white blood cells present (signs of infection), bilirubin (a sign of liver issue), glucose (a marker of diabetes), and rule out other issues like crystals or tumor cells under the microscope.They will also be able to check the urine's concentration which can be diluted if a cat has kidney problems. Depending on their findings, they can confirm if this is a bladder infection or if one of the above is causing these accidents. If the sample is clear, then you may want to have his vet examine him to check his heart, rule out thyroid or heart issues for Milo.

In the meantime, just in case we do have a bladder infection present (since it is the most common reason for spotting), there are a few things you can do to give some relief at the moment. First, you can try to get him to drink more if possible (which can be hard to get a cat to do). You can also offer low-sodium chicken broth to encourage drinking. As well, aloe vera berry juice (available at health food stores) can be helpful in changing the urine pH and making the bladder more comfortable. As well, I usually advise upping their wet food portion of the diet, as this is 35% water and will sneak some water into his system. Of course, while urine dilution will help flush out bacteria, it is unlikely that this alone will clear the bladder infection completely. Therefore, you will still want to have that urine sample tested +/- Milo checked by his vet.

Overall, the character of his urination in the house is not very suggestive of a behavior issue. Instead, we would need to be concerned about your lad's health. Therefore, I would advise trying to increase his hydration but follow up with his vet. They will be able to determine if this is a bladder infection alone or if something else is triggering his signs. If necessary, they will be able to cover him with a broad spectrum antibiotic and pain relief to make Milo comfortable and clear any infection present. And if there is an underlying systemic issue, then they can help you address this effectively for him to stop the accidents.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thankyou. Atrip tp the vet I think.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome.

I do think that is the best plan; though a urine sample for a check at the very least.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello. Took Milo to vet 10 days ago with sample of urine. He did have bladder infection (high protein reading).Worrying was that he had lost alarge amount of weight I knew he'd lost some weight but it was ashock. Following injections he made a good recovery within 24 -48 hrs and was his usual self again. Sadly something must have happened during the Sunday. He was fine ate hs food but later on I noticed he was coughing and later started rapid breathing but he wandered outside. We found him dead in his favourite spot. Very upsetting, he did have a heart murmer do you think he had a heart failure or similar?

Valmai Bate

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Good evening Valmai,

I am very sorry to hear that Milo has passed so suddenly. If he had lost significant weight and had a known heart murmur, it is quite possible that his heart may have been this cause. Often cats with heart problems will struggle in silence without making their condition obvious and will actually modify their lives to hide that there is a problem (perhaps by reducing his exercise, sleeping more, etc). The dilemma then is that we get very little warning in these cases and can see our kitties deteriorate very quickly and pass on. So, it is quite possible his heart was to blame with his sudden passing but that Milo
Please take care,
Dr B.