Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

Our Cat

Hi. We have been 'adopted' by a stray cat. He has been coming into us for the past month or so but, over the past few days, we have noticed that he seems to be constipated (straining to go in his box, nothing happening). Can you advise please? Alan Mitchell

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 9 years of experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you.

Have you been noticing any urine in the litter box? I need to determine if there is a urinary blockage versus constipation. Is he still eating well? Crying at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, there is no urine in the litter box, but this could be due to the fact that he is a stray, and spends a lot of time outdoors, away from our sight and he is eating well (perhaps too well!). We have tried oily tuna and soft chicken in gravy in an attempt to help him but, he tried to 'go' in his box again this morning, and couldn't. There is no crying from him but he does seem a bit lethargic this morning, which could be the weather.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ummmm Hello, any chance of an answer please?

Sorry, you responded to my request for more information 13 hours after I asked you. Hence, I was asleep here in the states. You can try mixing some mineral oil in with the food. Any other oil will just be digested, but the mineral oil will pass through unchanged. You can also try mixing a half teaspoon of a fiber supplement such as Metamucil in with the food once a day. The fiber can help things pass through, and so can the mineral oil, if constipation is the issue. However, there is always a chance that we are dealing with urinary tract obstruction. If we are dealing with urinary tract obstruction, this can be an emergency situation, and can cause irreversible kidney failure if it goes on for too long. I would try to keep him indoors for 24 hours so that you can find out for certain whether or not he is able to urinate. If he is not urinating, you will have to take into the vet. There is no solution for urinary tract obstruction that does not involve catheterization by a vet. If you find that he is urinating well, then you can continue trying the mineral oil and the fiber to help him pass the stool. If he stops eating completely, you will want to take him into the vet.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr Ann!

My apologies, I did not know that you were based in the States (I don't see that on the website).

As I say, he's getting stuff in, but we are concerned it's not coming out so I will try to keep him in and follow your instructions but, he's a very er... 'willful' chap and runs a heck of a lot faster than me!

Many thanks,

Alan

It will not be fun for you or for him, but it is really in his best interest to keep him inside for 24 hours to make sure that we are not dealing with an emergency situation with inability to urinate. Please let me know if you have further questions while this progresses. Have a great day, and please remember to rate my service. Best of luck.