Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

cat pulling all his fur out and getting thin in weight

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.
It is very important to get Smokey in to a vet.
Why?
1. Trying to overeat biscuits, yet losing weight. Meows for nothing. Many of these symptoms can be associated with hyperthyroidism (elevated thyroid hormone). This is the second most common condition diagnosed in older cats, and can be medically managed.

2. The pulling fur out can be seen with hyperthyroidism, as well as, conditions like allergies, or psychogenic alopecia (behavioral).

Psychogenic alopecia

3. The wattery poo also raises flags for possible inflammatory bowel disease, other organ issues, or possible intestinal lymphoma.

So, testing is crucial to figure out what could be going on and to decide what treatment plan to start.

A feline basic blood test and a urine test (urinalysis) may answer a lot of concerns, or at least rule-out many possible explanations.

What can tests tell you:
Chemistry Panel
CBC (complete blood count)
Urinalysis

Both, a blood and urine sample is usually easy for a veterinarian to obtain. A urine test is taken directly from a needle poke into the bladder, with a needle no bigger than what is used to give a vaccine.

- ensure a thyroid level is also included on the blood test to rule-out hyperthyroidism (elevated thyroid hormone)

A follow up test your vet may also suggest is abdominal ultrasound. A great, non-invasive way, to get a good look at the layering and walls of the stomach and intestinal tract.
What is Abdominal Ultrasound in Cats

Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Otherwise, select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy