Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Cat has recently been diagnosed with uti and then diabetic

Customer Question

Cat has recently been diagnosed with uti and then diabetic I. Injections going fine and uti treated with loxicom and also had antibiotics injection about 10 days ago . Now in season and leaking clear non smelling liquid never noticed she has done this much before. Eating fine and still lively no sick nothing bad I can see seems to be doing what she normally does when she is in season. Not spayed . 11 years old. Feral but very good girl, been through a lot lately. Bit worried. Called vet but he hasn't called back yet. Is this alright she is licking a lot to clean area.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Clear vaginal discharge is a common feature of animals in season but often is not appreciated by cat owners (since they are very clean and will pass less material then dogs do). Still even with see an increased amount, as long as it remains clear and odorless, then we would not be worried here.

In Lily's case, we could potentially be seeing increased discharge volume secondary to her over grooming the area or because her vagina has recently been sensitized by her previous UTI (where there would have been a degree of secondary inflammation of this region). Therefore, again, as long as she is well in herself, eating/drinking normally, and there is no odor, pus discoloration, and no changes to urine we would not be alarmed.

That said, since she is now a diabetic, you may want to speak to her vet about spaying since we do see some sex hormones (ie progesterone) affect insulin production in the female cat leading to diabetes.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )