Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Our cat has been vomiting after food and during the night for

Our cat has been vomiting after food and during the night for nearly a week now. His behaviour has not changed. His nose is cold and is not showing any other signs of being unwell. We have not changed his regular food or the amounts that we feed him. He is an indoor cat.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is it fair to say there is always food in the vomit?
2- Any pre existing medical conditions?
3- Is he on hairball medications?
4- Any other symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, there is always food in the vomit. He is not on hairball medication. He is not showing any other symptoms.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Debra, when we see vomiting of undigested food it is called "regurgitation" as the food has not been digested. Possible causes could be esophagus disorders (megaesophagus, strictures, parasites), gastritis or even part of a systemic disease. In cats, they will often regurgitate if they are having a problem with hairballs. I would strongly recommend starting him on hairball medication and see if this helps. This is what you can do:

1- Start him on hairball meds (laxaire or laxatone), you can buy this over the counter in any pet strore. Give a label dose.
2- Divide his meal to smaller amounts 4-6 times a day.
3- Raise his eating bowl on to a small stool to force him to raise his head while he eats.
4- If he continues to regurgitate after doing the above follow up with family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter