Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

A large amount of extra fur has appeared between our cats rear

Customer Question

A large amount of extra fur has appeared between our cats rear legs he is 12yrs and still seems healthy but this does look unusual
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

If your cat otherwise seems bright and healthy and is acting normally this is not likely to be any sort of health problem, just a curiosity.

Scott Nimmo :

It would be safe to cut this fur back now and again to improve his appearance but if any odd symptoms do occur then have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side.

Scott Nimmo :

That said I doubt if you have anything to worry about ...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The fur does hang from a flab of skin so this will be unable to cut fur cat is healthy does this apply to toms

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you please reply to my question as regards cutting the fur as this is hanging from flabby skin??

Hello again,

Very glad to discuss this with you further ...

Sorry for the confusion, I thought it was just fur. Sometimes older cats do get a portion of skin that hangs down between their hind legs. It is not known why this occurs but sometimes these cats are overweight. The skin flap itself is not a health problem as such but it does look a bit cosmetically unsightly I know. But other than surgery which I would never recommend it is best left as is.

If he is in fact overweight then you should correct this as it can other health problems such as heart disease ...

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help

No problem, very glad to have advised you ...

Regards,

Scott