Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My 10 week old kitten has just eaten 1 10 mg tablet of carbimazole.

Customer Question

My 10 week old kitten has just eaten 1 10 mg tablet of carbimazole. Will he be ok
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he eat this?

How much does Jabo weigh?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
20 minutes and about 3 kg
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Christine.

Now the good news is that carbimazole is a drug that we use in feline medicine. Therefore, this is not an outright poisoning. Considering the tablet size and Jabo's weight, this is actually less then what we would use when starting this drug in cats with hyperthyroidism (which is what we use this drug for in cats, in case this is your tablet and not another cat in household's tablet). Therefore, this would not be considered an overdose either. That said, it is quite possible that we could see some short term adverse signs with this one dose. Commonly we can see signs of GI upset (ie vomiting, diarrhoea, reduced appetite, etc), lethargy, increased thirst or urination.

In this situation, since Jabo is a good sized kitty and this has only been a single dose, you do have a few options.You can consider erring on the side of caution by inducing vomiting (More Info), treating with activated charcoal to limit absorption, or just monitor him and provide supportive care.

If you wish to induce vomiting, then the link I have provided will outline how to do so. For activated charcoal (LINK), this can be purchased OTC from the pharmacy and can be given to bind any remaining material in his stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 4 grams per pound is given every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much he absorbs and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, since we are most likely to just see some stomach upset after this ingestion, you can choose just to monitor him and provide some GI settling support. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to to keep his stomach settled.
Further to this, we can also cover him with an antacid to keep his stomach as settled as possible. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are
Pepcid (More Info/Dose) or Zantac (More Info/Dose). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if your wee one has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, this is a drug that we do use in kitties and the dose is not an excessive one. Therefore, in this case, we can err on the side of caution but it would be fine to choose to monitor him and address any stomach upset should he have any from stealing this tablet.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )