Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Forgot to ask our vet this morning ... I have 2 cats 6 years

Customer Question

Forgot to ask our vet this morning ... I have 2 cats 6 years old who are recovering from a herpesvirus ... symptoms presented about 5 days apart. Might they re-infect each other?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Once infected with the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) cats remain carriers for life. Initial infection usually occurs within the first weeks of life. In some populations, FHV-1 will be found in nearly 100% of cats. Stressful conditions may exacerbate the virus which then can become clinically apparent - conjunctivitis, sneezing, tracheitis, e.g. To answer your question directly, then, because they're already infected for life, reinfection by exposure to each other is a moot point.

In most cases, treatment is unnecessary because cats usually remiss unaided within 3 weeks. In severe or lasting episodes, the systemic antiviral famcyclovir should be considered. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thanks. They had antibiotic jabs to prevent secondary infection and anti-inflammatories (2nd dose this morning for the cat that has been sicker and not eaten for 3 days), I also had her checked for dehydration. Sounds like we should now just wait it out.

Thank you for the additional information. Yes, "watchful waiting" is appropriate at this time.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few weeks for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.