Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have 2 rescue cats from RSPCA for 18 months. One was, and

I have 2 rescue cats from RSPCA for 18 months. One was, and still is, very timid and runs away immediately if go towards her plus goes under bed when hears me coming upstairs. So am unable to get her into carrier for vets. Both housecats as cannot get vaccinated. Main problem now moving soon so will need to get her into carrier-(already in room to get her used to it -which she ignores even with food in it). Tried Feliway for 4wks but don't think she is stressed just very timid. Think only option is something to sedate her just to get near her to get into her carrier. Is this possible with any sedation ( need to be tablet in food only) from vet
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Poor wee Rosie!

We do see shyness in kitties that can be very difficult to overcome.

First, if you have a cat that you cannot get into a carrier for vet visits, I would just note that she may benefit from a home vet visit in the future. This is something you can request of your vet and they would be able to come to her for her boosters or any treatment instead of her having the stress of getting to them. So, that just might be something to consider for wee Rosie.

Now in regards ***** ***** to get her into her carrier, there are options that your vet can provide. The most common tablet based sedation is called Acepromazine. Depending on the situation, vets may use the effects of Diazepam to calm them for handling in this manner as well. This all said, you will need to have a conversation with your vet regarding this as we often need to see the cat (either before or after) the sedation to be able to dispense it for them.

Alternatively, you could try Rosie with a small dose of Piriton (chlorphenamine). While this antihistamine isn't a sedative, it can cause drowsiness in cats and may be enough for you to get her into her carrier. It is available OTC and you can give 0.5-1 tablet of the 4mg strength to her. Of course if she has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medication, then you will want to speak to her vet first.

Finally, I did just want to note since she is a shy cat, that you could consider looking into 'Free Access Crate Train (FACT)' for her. This is something I have done with my own stressy cat, and it does help her when we take her somewhere new (and in the kitty mindset --"scary"). Now I cannot take any of the credit because it isn't really training, but rather making available a safe + 'defendable/secure' cubby for them, a familiar place they can call their own. And if we do that with a cat carrier (with whatever blankets/toys she loves) then you will be making a 'home base' she can take with her. This may not be something you can undertake at the moment, if the move is near, but something to consider for the longer term. And this can just help her feel more secure and comfortable when she is due to go in a carrier and be removed from the comfort zone of the house. I would advise having a read of this article on FACT (here) and consider trying this approach to establishing a safe place for her to make her feel more secure but also make your carrier battles less of an issue.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you-if a vet did come to the house would they have a way to catch the cat otherwise it would not come out of hiding or run from one space to another like it does with me!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome, Maxine.

Usually if the owner can herd the cat into one room without too many hiding spots, we can catch them. She will surely try the same tricks with the vet, but "kitty wrangling" is something we do on a daily basis. So, as long as you are able to close the door to the room she is in prior to their arrival (so you know where she is), that wouldn't be a major issue.

All the best,

Dr. B.