Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Hi there, Im hoping you can help .... My rescue cat has be

Customer Question

Hi there, I'm hoping you can help .... My rescue cat has be diagnosed with severe cruciate ligament damage in his back leg ....... He is limping badly & the joint obviously has no support . I'm using anti inflammatory pain relief for him but he is young & just carries on like a mad thing !
Is surgery the best option for him ? My vet has suggested it & I just want to check what's best ! I don't want any surgery to make it more painful or difficult for him to get about ..... :-)
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

The situation is this : Some cats have cruciate ligament injuries and then they quickly recover over the course of one or two weeks without any intervention. This is no problem ...

Scott Nimmo :

Other cats have more severe cruciate ligament problems and remain lame, the best option for these cats is in fact surgery.

Scott Nimmo :

You see if it is not tackled fairly quickly there is a risk of severe arthritis in the affected leg later in life.

Scott Nimmo :

The bottom line is that I would agree with your vet that surgery is probably your best option.