Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

my cat has just passed some stools at the end of the stools

Customer Question

my cat has just passed some stools at the end of the stools is what appears to be a bloody membraine. she will not move from her stools which she has done under the dining table, which is very unusual, also she slept in her cat litter tray which is also unusual, but no stool have been passed there.

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Was the stool a normal consistency or loose?

Are Dilys 's gums nice and pink (not pale/white)?

Does she have any belly pain or tenseness?

Did she strain to pass these feces?

How is her appetite? Her thirst?

Any vomiting?

Any chance she could have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, string, plants, etc)?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the stools were of normal consistency. when i picked her up from under the table to clean her up, she showed signs of pain in her belly to the touch. her gums are looking pale and she is showing no interest in food today. there has been no vomiting. as for eating something she should not have i'm not sure. but i did notice a strange waft from her stools, which leads me to think maybe an infection ?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Wendy,

First, I must say that I am quite concerned about Dilys.
Her lapse in litterbox manners, reluctance to move (likely related to pain), and sleeping in the box (something we see very unwell cats do) are all signs of a cat that is uncomfortable and red flags that something is seriously amiss for her.

Now often fresh blood and mucus in feces is often a sign of inflammation/irritation of the colon (lower GI). This can be due to bacterial infection but if Dilys has normal stools, belly discomfort, and pale gums; then I'd be more worried about whether she has ingested a foreign body and has a GI obstruction. In the cases of GI obstructions, we often see straining to pass feces and the increased pressure to pass those feces leads to colonic irritation and thus the blood present. Other possible issues here could be a GI twist or an intussusception (where the gut telescopes on itself to cause an obstruction).

So, in this case, infection would not be on the top of my list in a young cat with these signs. Instead, I would be worried that there may be something in her GI that shouldn't be there. And the presence could cause her to refuse to eat (often cats do this when nauseous instead of vomiting), show belly pain when handled, and be reluctant to move for fear of a possible item causing her further discomfort. Further to this, if her gums are truly pale, we do have the extra concern whether a possible ingested item is traumatizing her GI and causing a bleed.

Therefore, in this case, Dilys is making it very clear that she is in serious discomfort and that the focus of this is her GI. Therefore, in this case, I would highly advise having her seen as soon as possible by her vet. They can palpate her abdomen +/- xray to check for any of these issues. If present, then they can address these for her. Otherwise, if she is clear for our worries, then they can cover bases with antibiotics against potential infection, pain relief to get her moving more comfortably and get her back to normal for you.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thankyou. Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

You are very welcome, Wendy.

Please let me know how you get on.
Hopefully, Dilys will just be giving us a wee scare. Still with her discomfort and reluctance to move (which is very uncharacteristic of infection), we just need to make sure that nothing is stuck in her gut that should not be there.

All the best,

Dr. B.