Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

Hi my kitten is 10 weeks old, had his 1st jab last week and

Hi my kitten is 10 weeks old, had his 1st jab last week and was fine. Last night amd today he has been very quiet for him, he is eating, drinking weeing and pooping and occasionally playing with his brother. He is very cuddly and purring but seems very quiet and sleeping a lot more. Today I found fleas on him. I uave flea combed him and think they are all gone. Could the fleas be the cause of his quietness?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

It is certainly possible for fleas to cause a young kitten to be lethargic. Fleas take a blood meal and, especially if there are a lot of them, can cause anemia in small, young cats. Anemia, in turn, can make a kitten lethargic.

Dr. Scarlett :

If Kemik had fleas on him, then you have fleas in your house. So flea combing is helpful, but the ones in the environment will jump on him as the larvae turn into adults.

Dr. Scarlett :

Young kittens can also develop upper respiratory infections, have intestinal worms, and eat things they shouldn't, which could all cause some lethargy (in addition to other clinical symptoms). So if you haven't taken him in to a regular vet yet, now would be a good time.

Dr. Scarlett :

But I would definitely get Frontline or Advantage to put on him. Both of these topical medications can be applied to kittens 8 weeks and older, so Kemik is not too young. But do use a well-known brand name. I find products by Hartz or other OTC brands to be hard on kittens and not as effective. It is important to treat all the pets in the household, as they will all have fleas.

Dr. Scarlett :

Hope that helps!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I hope Kemik is starting to feel better! Please let me know if you have other questions or concerns!