Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice,
18324312

My cat has just been diagnosed with kidney stones and a stone

My cat has just been diagnosed with kidney stones and a stone on the ureta, the other kidney is fully functioning and she is otherwise in excellent health. The vet is suggesting the kidney be fully removed, is this necessary as I have not read this course of action bring recommended any where ?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
I'm very sorry to read of Beauty's situation. Did her veterinarian explain what the condition of the kidney, or their rationale for recommending its removal?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The kidney has several approximately 5 or 6 stones and is enlarged, X-ray doesn't show much quality tissue.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Okay, thank you Denise. Are Beauty's renal blood values elevated? (BUN and creatinine)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, don't know the specifics, sat in the waiting room now but her other kidney us showing as fully functioning as no issues with the bloods, sorry for the lack of medical terminology!
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Not a problem, thank you.
Did her veterinarian explain their rationale for recommending the removal of the kidneyf?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That it has too many stones to consider removing and whilst this could be possible together with a stent fir the uretha the surgery is more complicated and it doesn't look healthy enough to save...
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Okay, thank you Denise.
Since I am not in possession of all the facts in her case, I can only offer a partial analysis. If Beauty were my cat or my patient, i would put her on a special diet to try to dissolve the stones while monitoring her physical condition and blood values. In thirty five years of practice, I've never found the need to remove a kidney due to stones. That is not to say that it couldn't happen, it's just that a situation requiring this drastic a solution has not presented itself.
A more conservative approach may be possible. I would suggest asking your veterinarian about this alternative and what the risks involved might be in Beauty's case. Before proceeding with the surgery, I would also seek a second opinion just to be certain that another, less invasive, therapy might be preferable.
As I wrote earlier, I don't have all the information that has been gathered and am relying on my training and experience in dealing with renal conditions in cats, but what I've offered is how I personally would proceed, were Beauty my own cat or patient. If you should have further questions, please let me know. There may be a delay in my answer, as my dogs are needing to go for their morning walk, but I will get back to you soon, if needed.
Kind regards, *****
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience: 35 years in practice,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know it was difficult to help with limited info, Beauty had the op to remove her kidney, it was full if urine, had stones removed from the uretha all the way along it and stones from her bladder. She came home an hour ago and now just need to get her to eat! Thank you