Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Hi just had a siamese kitten from a breeder and he has red

Customer Question

Hi just had a siamese kitten from a breeder and he has red eyes which he has given me eye ointment for (optician) and occasionally small sneezes. I am keeping him separate from my other cats . I have Ronaxan in the house. Is it worth giving him that. He is five months old. Wanted the breeder to keep him until it had cleared up but it wasn't an option as he is going travelling very soon .
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Ronaxan (doxycycline) is a reasonable antibiotic to choose when addressing upper respiratory infections in cats because it's the drug of choice for two of the common infectious agents we see - Chlamydophila and Mycoplasma. Dosing is only 3-5mg/kg every 12 hours for 7-10 days, however, and it's difficult to dose down a 100mg tablet for a kitten. In addition, doxycycline can be very irritating to the oral membranes of the mouth and esophagus and so any doxycycline given orally should be followed by a copious amount of water so none of that antibiotic remains in contact with your cat's mouth or esophagus.

In most cases, the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) is responsible for those symptoms and that virus doesn't respond to antibiotics such as doxycycline. My usual protocol is to allow the tincture of time for these kittens to remiss - usually within 10-14 days. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What about the eye ointment I was given by the breeder, is this the correct ointmnent for red eye? The tube had a name of a different cat on it but was unopened.

An optician is a technical practitioner who designs, fits and dispenses corrective lenses for the correction of a person's vision.Can you tell me what the active ingredient is in that ointment, please?

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.