Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Hi My cat recently had a few injections at the vets as he

Customer Question

My cat recently had a few injections at the vets as he had cystitis - I believe that it was antibiotics and steroids, and he went back a few times - and also a vaccination. At the site of where one of these injections was done, (on his back between his two front legs) he developed what looked like a circular scab. My mum suggested I try some Eumovate cream on him, but since I've been using this the original scab seems to have gone, he has been scratching quite a lot, so much so that he has removed some of the hair to the left of it, now he appears to have a rectangular shaped scab. I've got some photos if this if it will help. He seems happy in himself and eating fine etc. Should I continue treating him with this cream?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, if you have photos and would like to post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar (More Info). Or you can post them on a 3rd party site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, etc) and paste the web address here.

Otherwise, if there is no swelling below the scabbed area, heat, or soreness; then I'd be most suspicious of focal irritation (likely secondary to healing, just as we get around healing wounds) for Crash.

Now Emovate is a topical steroid cream, so this should be reducing any inflammation and itching for Crash. If it isn't quite doing so and he is perhaps irritated in the region, you could also consider trying him with Piriton (chlorphenamine), to further reduce any immune induced irritation. For cats, we tend to use a dose of 2-4 mgs (so 0.5-1 tablet of 4mg strength) up to twice daily. Do notes that we do like to keep them on low doses since this can make cats drowsy. Of course, if he is on any other medications you didn't mention or has any pre-existing conditions, we'd want to check with his vet first.

Further to this, we do need to protect the skin from Crash continually bothering it and let it heal. To do so, we want to make sure those back claws are kept clipped short but you can also put a baby t-shirt on him. This will provide a nice breathable cover that will protect the healing skin from his constant itching. And of course, if there is any open bit to the wee healing wound, do consider salt water bathing (1tbsp salt in a pint warm water) a few times daily to keep infection away.

Overall, I am more than happy to have a peek at a photo of Crash's back. Still based on your description, I would be most suspicious that he is scratching the area since the healing skin will be itchy and this is preventing proper healing. Therefore, the cream is fine to use but you may also want to take the above steps to further limit his self-trauma and aid this healing for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Day or so after start of treatment

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Dave,

Crash's wound does look quite moist there.

Are you feeling any swelling beneath it?

Is there a puncture present there (the photo seems to hint at one)?
Or does it all look quite superficial?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It does look superficial the moistness may have been the cream. It's changed since the initial application of the cream, I was trying to add these photos as well. I've included an overall photo from the time of the original to give an idea of scale, cheers. I've parted his fur on these pictures as I was applying the cream. All these new ones apart from the overall shot are taken at the same time from different angles of light.

overall picture (early treatment)

2nd photo

a few days later 1

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you again Dave.

I appreciate the additional photos and the whole body shot (so I could get an idea of scale here). The area does look like a superficial dermatitis. As I noted, his self-trauma is our likely reason for a lack of healing. Ideally, we do want to salt water bathe this (dry it afterwards) and keep it covered with a t-shirt. As I noted before, the Eumovate can be used as it will reduce inflammation and irritation. That said, if it is making the skin that moist/greasy, that may be part of the reason he is scratching (since cats don't like any topical treatments on their skin at the best of times). So, you could also try salt water bathing/tshirt and holding off on the cream to just make sure that our trying to soothe the area is causing him to be even more tickly in that region.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks very much for your advice, he's back at the vets next Saturday for his next vaccination. Hopefully he'll be ok until then. I'll keep treating him with the cream for now and get them take a look when they see him,

Cheers

Dave
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

That sounds like a good plan for Crash. Hopefully, we will have this settled before he is seen, but if not then they can reassess it for you and dispense further treatment if need be.

Take care,
Dr. B.