Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Hi my cat this morning had a patch of missing hair by his mouth,

Hi my cat this morning had a patch of missing hair by his mouth, we moved him into a new home just over a week ago and he's been behaving well, keen to get outside but we're keeping him in a bit.

I'm worried maybe its ringworm? I have a fungal toe infection and he's been sleeping on my feet a bit.

any advice?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now this would be an odd area for ringworm (unless he was licking your feet and you had ringworm on that toe). Still, can you tell me:

Is there just hair loss or are you seeing any scaling, crusting, or ulceration of the skin?

Any tissue swelling or redness?

Does he appear to itch the area?

If possible, could you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, I am happy to have a look (since it will let me see what you are seeing). To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar (How To). Or you can post them on a 3rd party site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, etc) and paste the web address here.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am currently now at work so am unable to take a photo but would I be able to come back to you tomorrow? If so how do I go about that? do I just keep this page open or do you have an email?

Jess

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
Hi again Jess,

No worries.Smile
You can take the photo when you are home and post it when possible. In regards ***** ***** photos, you just need to follow the notes I wrote above. In regards ***** ***** to this page to do so (since the website blocks direct email correspondence), you should have a link to this page in your email now or you can bookmark the page to get back easily. Otherwise, you can just copy/paste the web address (http://www.justanswer.co.uk/cat-health/8jhqa-hi-cat-morning-patch-missing-hair-mouth.html?dologin=1&src=nql) and put it into a word document for you to use tomorrow. And if you are really struggling, then you can send the photo to customer service (HERE) and they will send it on to me.

In the meantime though, I would suggest just salt water bathing the region (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) and drying it for your lad. This will just reduce bacterial contamination and is something safe to use so close to the mouth (since cats will lick off any creams or treatments one would try to reply).

Otherwise, I will keep an eye out for your photos of Shaks.
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/Messicamayers27/library/Mobile%20Uploads

Could you try this link please? There looks like a tiny bit of blood one one edge and the rest is just white hairless skin.

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Dr b is off line
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
Hi again Jess,I have had a look at the photos you have posted and this doesn't have a traditional ringworm look. Instead the lesion looks more like normal skin with a hint of trauma. (potentially if another cat has gotten to him but we can also see this if a cat scratches this region with their back foot). Therefore, with a lack of infection or crusting to this skin, I would advise monitoring the region while cleansing it (ideally with a dilute chlorohexidine scrub that will from available OTC at your chemist). We should see the skin settle and as long as he doesn't continue to scratch the skin with his back foot, but if he is itching the area then a buster collar could be placed short term to protect the area and facilitate healing.All the best,Dr. B.