Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Hi there. My friend has been staying with me with her cat.

Hi there. My friend has been staying with me with her cat. She gets very depresses and is sometimes unable to care for herself let alone her kitty. So I have taken it upon myself to care for the cat as I already have a dog so I don't mind. I love the cat, he is a sweetheart but I noticed that there appears to be a blister on his gum. It's not yellow or pussy but it looks like a blister. He also has some kind of dark dry discharge around his nose that makes his nostrils look black. He is eating ok but is a little thin. I feed him twice a day and sometimes he leaves his biscuits but goes back again later. Appart from these things he looks fine, but I'm not really sure how to identify a problem in a cat because I've only ever had a dog. He had a problem before with his fur getting thing because of fleas but I managed to persuade the vet to give me flea treatment (as I am not registered as the cats owner at the vet and my friend won't call them to let me be put on his file) so he is flea free now. He also has had a problem in the past with urinary infections but this was treated by my friend and appears fine now. But I am unable to take the cat to the vets without my friend but she insists that he is fine. I'm just a little worried and unsure of where else to turn. He is a male cat and I believe he is around 4 years old.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response,but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

You sounds like a very good friend and a kind hearted individual to care so much about this person and her cat.

I do have a few questions to ask first, if you don't mind:

1. Any drooling or discharge from the mouth that you can tell?
2. Does food drop out of his mouth when he eats?
3. What color is the "blister" ?
4. Do you think you could take a picture of it? It's not always easy to post pictures to this site but this LINK walks you through it. If you can't, can you tell me more precisely where it's located? And, have you looked on the other side of his mouth to see if there's another blister located there, too?
5. Any sneezing?

There may be a delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you and I may be offline at the time you respond. But I'll get back to you as soon as I can since I'm on the computer some part of every day.

Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi.thankyou so much for your reply. i had another look and there is actually another blister type blob on the other side of his gum. they are both just next to his really long teeth. they are a similar colour to.his gums which are very pale pink but they are slightly blueish and very raised and circular in shape. there is no drool coming from his mouth that i can see but when he eats he occassionaly drops biscuits but my dog does too. he does eat a lot slower than my dog but he is smaller so maybe that plays a part. but his eyes are bright and he seems to walk around with no trouble. however i checked.his mouth because he wqs sitting on the carpet doing a strange licking/ chewing motion with his mouth. I hadnt seen him do that before so.checked in his mouth. i havent seen him sneeze since hes been here so i dont think he sneezes more than a normal cat. kind regards Amii

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Amii:
You're more than welcome and I hope my response will reassure you about your friend's cat.

Without direct visualization or possibly a picture, I can't say for sure of course, but it sounds as if what you're calling a blister is a normal part of this (or any) cat's mouth, especially since what you're seeing are bilateral (on both sides) and if they are located on the lower gums.
I've included two pictures below; see if these are similar to what you're seeing. In the one picture, the swelling is a darker pigment (which is normal) while the other one is the same color as the surrounding gum color.

Cats can develop oral masses but it would be quite unusual for them to develop in the same location of both sides of the gums.

As to the darkish discharge around his nostrils, this may also be normal for him.
A small amount of moisture can collect around the nostrils (more so in some cats than others) and dust particles and dirt can collect there. Many cats will rub off this material during their normal grooming but some cats are a little lazy about this and the black material builds up.

I tend to take a warm washcloth and gently clean the area when this happens to the cats that I've had over the years.

I hope this helps and provides reassurance about these issues with your friend's cat. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.