Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My NFC girl went to stud 2 weeks ago but has started to call

My NFC girl went to stud 2 weeks ago but has started to call again today. Stud owner saw her roll but didn't actually see stud mate her. It was her first time away from home and we both wondered if that had put her off call. STud owner very kindly offering to bring stud to us in our outside pen tomorrow or Saturday. However, I have heard that queens can have a 'false' call if pregnant. Is there any way of knowing if she is or if she isn't pregnant? She would only be around 16 days along so impossible to know if nipples are up.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if she is only potentially 16 days post mating, then we will be limited in our pregnancy testing options. If you have a keen vet that is skilled at ultrasound pregnancy diagnosis, it is possible to start detecting pregnancies as early as 15 days post mating.

Otherwise, it would be a case of waiting another 4 days, so that you could use the Witness Relaxin blood test (which you may have to have your vet order in now for use then) to confirm pregnancy. This would be the best and most reliable option for early pregnancy diagnosis. As well, just to note, at day 20 some experienced vets will be able to diagnose via gentle palpation. This said, any palpation this early in a pregnancy must be done with extreme care since miscarriage can result if palpated too vigorously.

So, in this case, you most reliable pregnancy diagnosis option is the Relaxin test in 4 days time. Otherwise, if you have a keen vet with great ultrasonography skills, then you could consider a scan at this stage.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )