Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Last Friday 7th my cat Max(4 Years old). Came in later than

Customer Question

Last Friday 7th my cat Max(4 Years old). Came in later than usual 7 pm through front door. He appeared very nervous. Walking around slowly and checking out as if he had not been in the house before. He was ok with me I picked him up he is purring. He did'nt want to go out to utility room where has has his food he seemed scared.The room where cat flap is. He is chipped and only him can get in flap. One week later he is still the same.He stays more in the house. He eats his food, if I take him to it.does not appear to be physically hurt did check him out. Help
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I have advanced training in feline behavior. We don't have many vets trained in behavior on the UK site at this time.

You're correct to consider Max's "experiencing something outside". That "something" is most often another cat and territorial issues have come into play. Territorial aggression - an actual altercation with another cat - as well as fear and anxiety as a result of that meeting are the likely causes of Max's behavior...which is not only expected but smart - he's not as likely to be hurt if he sequesters himself as he's done.

Max can detect another cat's phermomones - chemicals secreted and detected by other cats - and is likely to become more bold once the other cat leaves Max's territory. Meanwhile there's no reason for you to do anything more than be patient with him. A vet's attention is only needed if Max became inappetant or developed symptoms indicative of illness.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in another week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.