Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

my 11 year cat started to lose weight about 2 months ago, eating

Customer Question

my 11 year cat started to lose weight about 2 months ago, eating well and drinking water, wormed him and thought it may be down to warmer weather? over last 3 days he has started limping, seams disorientated and after a long sleep (sleeps a lot more) when he gets up he struggles to get moving as though his joints are stiff. still eating but seems to be deteriorating very quickly. thought he was on mend today as he jumped up on windowsill but as it's gotten later he seems to be struggling again. he is usually an out door cat but not really leaving the door step. I will take him to vet but i keep thinking he'll get better and frightened i will stress him out. my dad says he is old but my friends cat is fine and it's 16 years old?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

My name is***** and I will do my best to help you with your questions about your cat Stanley. I'm sorry he's having trouble and has you worried.

Dr. Jo :

To join the conversation, just type in what you want to say and click REPLY. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

Dr. Jo :

I understand how stressful a trip to the vet can be, but please rest assured it's exactly what Stanley needs.

Dr. Jo :

Ask your friends and neighbors for recommendations for a cat-friendly vet. You want one who will do their best to minimize the stress of a veterinary visit for Stanley.

Dr. Jo :

I'd be hopeful that a thorough physical exam and some simple blood tests will show that Stanley has a simple problem with an uncomplicated solution. Hyperthyroidism is one example of a problem that's very common in older cats who seem to be acting fine, but are losing weight.

Dr. Jo :

When it's allowed to progress, they start to act sicker, like Stanley is.

Dr. Jo :

I know you were hopeful he would get better, but based on what you've written, that's not happening. He needs medical attention.

Dr. Jo :

No one likes getting stressed, but leaving a medical condition undiagnosed and untreated is much worse.

Dr. Jo :

In regards ***** ***** your dad says, yes, eleven years is a senior cat, but many cats live well into their teens. Exceptional cats live up to twenty or more.

Dr. Jo :

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but unless your dad is a veterinarian and has done some basic blood tests, a urinalysis, and perhaps even some x-rays, he's in no position to comment on the status of Stanley's health.

Dr. Jo :

Has this information been helpful?

Dr. Jo :

I see you rated bad service. Please reply and tell me what I can do to be more helpful?

Customer:

my dad didn't comment on his health i just wanted to know if stan had a few more years in him just for piece of mind and i mentioned i would be taking him to the vet so i don't feel i have any new info but thank you.

Dr. Jo :

I'm sorry. I thought you said your dad said Stanley is only acting this way because he's old.

Dr. Jo :

It's not at all likely he is acting this way because he's old.

Dr. Jo :

Please understand I am here to discuss this with you back and forth and I'm trying to be helpful. The symptoms you are describing fit with some diseases that are common in cats.

Dr. Jo :

Hyperthyroidism is one example.

Dr. Jo :

Kidney and liver problems are also possible, as are infectious diseases, blood disorders, and injuries.

Dr. Jo :

These symptoms could also be associated with arthritis.

Dr. Jo :

There is treatment available for all these things.

Dr. Jo :

I am more than happy to answer any questions you have about Stanley.

Dr. Jo :

Please let me know what you would like to know.

Customer:

Sorry it's me not understanding the process. I'm just so worried that someone is going to tell me I need to have him put down, although I know if the vet says that's for the best I would do what is right for Stanley. he has suddenly gone from chasing the dog around to being very weak and wobbly in a matter of days. I'm hoping it's not any kind of organ or thyroid just because I've seen it in my friends cats and they've died shortly after diagnosis. could arthritis show so suddenly?

Dr. Jo :

While waiting, I've reread your original post several times. Please let me know specifically what information you are looking for. I'm doing my best to give you information.

Dr. Jo :

Ah! I can see your reply now...

Dr. Jo :

I understand what it's like to worry the vet is going to tell you it's time to put Stanley to sleep, but that's not the most important thing here. The important thing is he is having problems and the only way to help him is to find out what it is.

Dr. Jo :

In regards ***** *****

Dr. Jo :

No. It doesn't typically show up suddenly.

Dr. Jo :

It's possible that Stanley's mobility problems have absolutely nothing to do with arthritis.

Dr. Jo :

It's also possible that Stanley has been developing arthritis slowly over time, but dealing with it okay and not showing many symptoms. Now that he's ill with something else, he's a little weaker and not 100% so he's feeling the symptoms a little more.

Dr. Jo :

I'd like to offer some encouragement that thyroid problems and some liver and kidney problems are easily treated

Dr. Jo :

Really, when you think about it, there are a lot of unknowns in Stanley's situation. One thing is for certain, worrying about what it might be won't help Stanley at all. I'm glad you said you'll do what's best for him.

Dr. Jo :

As for me, I'll keep my fingers crossed that it turns out to be a simple problem with a simple solution.

Dr. Jo :

As a veterinarian who has spent a lot of time working in emergency hospitals, I will tell you one thing I know for certain. It's always better for the pet to seek veterinary care sooner rather than later. We have better success treating their problems the earlier we start.

Customer:

I'm sorry I jumped in with a poor rating you have been helpful, I've an idea of what might be wrong with Stanley so it won't be a big shock if I hear kidney or liver... I just wanted to be a little prepared for tomorrow, hence seeking advice in early hours. Thank you for being patient.

Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.