Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My 18 year old cat has suddenly changed . He usually is very

My 18 year old cat has suddenly changed . He usually is very clingy but now he spends all day either on or under my bed. At the moment he is hiding in a Bush in the garden. This is very odd.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am quite concerned about O'Malley.

Have you noticed any change in his appetite?
His thirst?
Weight?

How has he been prior to this?
Slowing down?
Appearing disoriented?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hi again Isabel,

I have not heard back from you and you do now appear offline, therefore I do want to leave my concerns for your return.

Now O'Malley's behavior are those we see arising from hardwired instinct. Specifically, his behaviors (especially the withdrawing to the bed or under it ,and hiding in bushes) are all common signs of a cat (or any prey species) feeling unwell. It is non-specific sign, as it doesn't tell us what is bothering them but one very typical of the cat. The reason they withdraw is because they are feeling so off color that they cannot put on a brave face and pretend all is well. And when they cannot do that, they withdraw to avoid being a target for predation.

So, in this case, without some more specific history on
O'Malley, it is not possible for me to narrow down what may be causing him to feel off. Still, the behavior alone raises red flags that he feels significantly unwell and therefore it is worth having a check with his vet (you can wait until your regular vet is open as long as O'Malley is eating, drinking, not in pain, and has pink not pale gums). Depending on their findings, they will be able to pinpoint what is causing him to feel so off color and address this for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did send a much more detailed reply. Hope it reached you . I'll take O'Malley to the vet on Monday. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
Oh dear Isabel,

I am afraid this is the only message I have received from you. I am happy to have a wee read if you do want to retype and resend your reply, but otherwise I am glad that you do plan to have him checked on Monday as this will ensure nothing is missed for wee O'Malley.

All the best,
Dr. B.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There seems to be a problem. I started on my Kindle and when it said I'd be contacted by email I had to go onto my computer as l can't get email on here. I rated you as excellent and am horrified you have not been paid. O'Malley has kidney disease so thank youfor confirming that I was not imagining he was I'll. Please contact me if my rating has not been found.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
Hi Isabel,

There is no worry at all. You did leave feedback, for which I am very grateful for. I suspect it is just a wee glitch in the website and I would just advise disregarding it. Otherwise, I am sorry to hear that O'Malley's kidneys are struggling (it is the most common issue we have with our elderly wee cats), but it is good that you found this out now and can support him with this condition. I can tell you that I diagnosed my wee cat in my icon with kidney disease a few years ago, but with treatment she is still with me and actively waking me up at 5am every morning. So, they can do well with medical management when we catch them in the earlier stages.

Take care & all the best,
Dr B.