Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

One of my 6 1/2 week old kittens is still refusing any form

Customer Question

One of my 6 1/2 week old kittens is still refusing any form of solid food. Her sibling is eating quite happily now. Should I be concerned at this stage?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

There is no reason to panic at this stage. Some kittens (just as some human babies) take longer to wean then others. As long as Boo is happy, healthy, and eating well from mum (or bottle if she is being hand reared); then we just want to keep tempting her with soft foods but letting her take what nutrition she needs from milk. There is no indication to rush her to solid foods, as she will get there in time.

In regards to helping with the weaning process, do continue as you are. But just in case you haven't already, make sure to also offering kitten replacer milk or a bit of cat milk in a bowl for her (you can also offer it off a spoon or fingers). This is sometimes a smaller step to weaning that can help slow weaners. Because often once they accept milk from sites other then "the source" they will start to be a bit more open minded about other things like kitten food and chicken.

So, there is no need to panic and Boo just may need a bit more time. So, keep giving her access to milk, but also try it in a bowl and keep offering solids so that she can give them a try and start weaning when she is ready.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )