Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I am trying to save a baby kitten found abandoned in a barn.

Customer Question

I am trying to save a baby kitten found abandoned in a barn. It appears normal with its activities playing and running about but it has a continual deposit from its backside, I have tried changing the food and it has been looked at by a vet and given medication twice ( I have lost confidence in the is person). The problem has got worse I have picked the kitten up to clean it and a foul smelling watery type liquid shot out of its back passage . I am unable to cope having to continually clean up a mess over a two week period.
I have contacted the cat protection who are too busy and they have mentioned it may be the infection called "Jardia" ( not sure of spelling ) .. Can anyone advise I am trying to give the kitten a chance for life can anyone help (financially I am very limited) Alex Gibbins
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Poor Kiki!

Now you have to appreciate that when a kitten has diarrhea, there are a wide range of potential causative agents. This includes an army of bacteria (including Salmonella, Campylobacter, E.coli, Clostridia, etc), viruses (ie Panleukopenia, rotavirus, coronavirus, etc), parasites and protozoa. Now Giardia is a protozoa that can cause the signs you have seen, but so is Tritichomonas, Coccidia, and Cryptosporidia. So, it is nice that they mentioned one of a good dozen potential causes to you but this doesn't really benefit Kiki or yourself. Especially since you have treated with Panacur, which is a treatment for Giardia (More Info). So, if it were our culprit, then we'd expect to have seen some improvement before now.

In this situation, if supportive care, general broad spectrum antibiotics, and worming have not settled her diarrhea; then this is a stage where you need to get to the bottom of what is causing her signs so that you can treat her effectively. I appreciate that funds are limited and Cat's Protection (CP) says they are busy, but in this situation a fecal sample should be sent to the vet lab for testing. If possible, you may want to see if CP will pay for it, since it wouldn't take their time but only their finanical support to cover the cost of this test for Kiki.

Otherwise, you can try contacting your local RSPCA branch (LINK ). The RSPCA does have some hospitals that they will see animals directly for much reduced cost, but if you are too far from an RSPCA hospital, then some branches can still help subsidize or even cover the costs of getting his treatment. They may even be able to help organize a payment plan and refer you to their contracted vet, who will likely have a contracted price range for their charity. Or if you are eligible for PDSA (More Info), then this would be another option to getting Kiki's situation resolved for you.

Overall, her constant diarrhea does suggest that we have an ongoing issue that has not been addressed by the broad spectrum treatments. In this case, a fecal sample would be the ideal next step as it will identify what she has picked up and therefore allow you to appreciate how to best address and clear this for her. So, since CP is too busy to take her in, I would strongly advise a word about their covering her fecal testing. That way they can help you to help her get back to being a normal kitten with normal stools.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will take kitten to a vet and get a sample for testing. I will do my best to continue to try and help the kitten.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

You are a star for helping this wee kitten, Alex.

I would just note that you can collect a fecal sample at home to submit to the vet to be sent to the lab.(often just by keeping the kitten in a non-carpeted room with an empty litterbox overnight). And if you were do to so this way, then you may just spare yourself another exam fee or you may be able to drop it off at the CP's chosen practice so they can cover the cost for you.

All the best for Kiki,
Dr. B.