Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Cat has been in vets today & diagnosed with enlarged kidneys,

Customer Question

Cat has been in vets today & diagnosed with enlarged kidneys, no treatment offered. The cat was walking & drinking this morning now he can't stand & his breathing is laboured. Is there anything I can do to help my cat?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear about Chico.

Rebecca :

My name is***** am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

Were any tests done?

Rebecca :

Blood tests to check his kidney function, X-rays to see how enlarged the kidneys are and if other internal organs are also abnormal?

Rebecca :

If this were my own cat, or my patient, I would take a chest Xray to see if there is fluid in his lungs causing the laboured breathing.

Rebecca :

How old is Chico? It says 60 on my optional information page, so that can't be right!

Rebecca :

Enlarged kidneys can be due to the kidneys having cysts on them (polycystic kidney disease, PKD), or to fluid backing up and causing them to swell (hydronephrosis), or to tumors in the kidneys (usually lymphoma).

Rebecca :

I hope you can see what I am writing!

Rebecca :

The website tells me you are there, but I am not seeing responses.

Rebecca :

I will try to connect with you another way if I do not hear from you. We will lose this live chat, but you can still ask me questions as long as you need to.

Rebecca :

The live chat will be timed out soon by the website, which is beyond my control.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Tests were done, blood & ex rays. Sorry cat is 13yrs.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Linda,
Sorry we were not able to connect in the ten minutes the website allows for live chat. That is beyond my control!
What were the results of the tests? Is his kidney function normal? Is he anemic, or does he have a high white blood cell count?
The next step to determining why his kidneys are enlarged would be to do an ultrasound, or possibly a kidney biopsy.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Vet said there were tumours in the kidneys.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
That is sad to hear.
The most common tumor cats get in their kidneys is lymphoma. Only a kidney biopsy will confirm that is Chico's problem. It can be done by an ultrasound guided needle.
If it is lymphoma, a veterinary oncologist consultation is what I would do with my own cat, to discuss treatment options. There is good chemotherapy for cats with lymphoma.
Starting him on prednisone might help shrink the tumors, at least for a time, and help him feel better.
Did the blood tests show if he is anemic, or if his kidney function is reduced?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Chico died
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.

Oh, No! I am so sorry.

His disease must have been well advanced. That is one frustrating thing about cats; we often don't know they have serious illness until they are very far along because they tend to be secretive at not feeling well and are so good at hiding their illnesses. I am so sorry to hear what happened.

My sincere condolences.

I am sorry, you may get an automated question about how Chico is doing. I will try to stop it but if I can't, please don't think me insensitive.

My sympathy,

Rebecca