Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

My cat has started to bite her claws until they bleed, also

Customer Question

My cat has started to bite her claws until they bleed, also has taken the fur from both her lower hind legs and just constantly stays in the window in the kitchen, whereas befor she would be all over the house, she is also not using the litter tray and wees on work top near kitchen window. She is a very old cat of 18 years
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about your girl's issues. It appears to me that she is suffering either from dementia or a neurologic issue caused by liver disease or something more insidious such as a brain lesion. It is important that you have your vet examine your girl to rule out a medical cause for this odd behavior. The inappropriate elimination is probably a part of this condition.

For now, give your girl Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs in case this is due to allergies. for the inapropriate elimination, follow these tips:

Purchase from any pet store a product called Feliway. This is a feline pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will discourage this bad behavior. Follow the directions on the bottle. Next, make sure to change all litter boxes to different places especially where there is little traffic. Keep these boxes extremely clean.

Try using different types of litter and make sure to clean these areas with an odor eliminator such as Nature’s Miracle.

Use aluminum foil or double sided tape in the problem areas which may discourage using these spots.

If this is not sufficient, your vet has medication that can help with this problem and, if used along with the Feliway, hopefully, will be successful. These medications are antianxiety drugs such as Fluoxetine or Clomipramine. Here is a website that has more tips:

www.petplace.com/cats/inappropriate-elimination/page1.aspx

Click CLOSE WINDOWS to get into this site.

http://pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/cat-behavior-problem-medications

Have your vet examine your girl to know for sure.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope this will help your sweet girl.

Have a wonderful day!