Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience.
14018973

We need two sedate 2 10 year cats to travel as we are moving.

We need two sedate 2 10 year cats to travel as we are moving. the journey will be roughly 2 hours depending on traffic. we also want to make them feel comfortable in the new home. can you suggest the best things for us please.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 13 years. Thank you for your question. AS far as the sedation for these two for their travels, there really isn't anything that you have on an at home basis that can reliably provide sedation safely. The most common used medication for taking the edge off / sedating for a travel trip is acepromazine. This is a drug that has to be obtained from your vets office. It is typically given about 30 minutes prior to travel and it can then provide about 6 to 8 hours of sedation depending on the dose used. To make the travel better for them, I would consider not letting them have breakfast that morning or food in the 6 hours prior to traveling to reduce the chance of vomiting. Another nice thing to do to reduce the stress of travel is to use a product called Feliway. It is a calming pheromone specific for cats. It can be sprayed on a towel and then placed in the carriers with them. Here is a good link on it.
www.feliway.com
This product can then also be used in the new environment to help make the transition easier. What usually works best in the new house is to have them in a small room to begin with so they can get comfortable in that smaller environment. Then over the next few days progressively letting them have more access to the rest of the home. Do make sure to go through and make it as cat safe as possible. Some can have increased anxiety or decreased eating in a new place. Some never miss a beat. Usually with time and encouragement, they adapt to the new place and get back to their normal patterns.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** helpful. Is acepromazine available in the UK & is this the british name for it?

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
I would expect that the acepromazine drug is available there in the UK. It is a very commonly used drug here in the US for sedation and I would be greatly surprised if it wasn't available there.
Here is a great link on it for further information.
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=570&S=1