Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

worried about my cats coat clumping and what causes this

Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear you have having problems with Jess. My name is***** am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

Does he have long hair?

Rebecca :

The best way to deal with these mats or clumps is to prevent them by regular combing, to remove the loose hair. I like a tool called a Furminator. It removes loose hair better than anything else I have used.

Rebecca :

Once a clump has formed, sometimes you can work it loose with this tool, but large mats have to be shaved off.

Rebecca :

Older cats like Jess sometimes are not grooming as well, and will develop these clumps more than when they were young. It may be they have arthritis, and it hurts to reach their backs. Some cats get too heavy to be able to groom well.

Customer:

yes he does i have been doing all of the above,

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I see you have rated me (thank you!) but possibly before all your questions were answered?

I would consider starting him on fish oil. It can improve coat quality, and also can help with arthritis.

A brush does not really remove the loose hair as well as a tool with teeth, like a comb or a Furminator.

I would take him to a vet or groomer, have the mats and clumps shaved off, and then start using a comb or Furminator on him a couple of times a week, to prevent new clumps.

Let me know if I can answer any more questions for you.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Teresa,
I answer questions only for the website. If you were told you have a free trial, that needs to be addressed by the moderators. When you give an answer a rating, that usually does mean that you pay, but I don't know the particulars of your arrangement for payment; I only answer questions for the website.

I will forward your question to the moderators to see if they can help you.

Rebecca