Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Small Bengal , had her 6 month , she is 5, suddenly whining

Small Bengal , had her 6 month , she is 5, suddenly whining a lot and then going toilet on floor in house( never done this b4 ), seems ok rest of the time
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Are you seeing her strain to urinate inappropriately quite frequently?

Is Lily passing small amounts of urine or large volumes?

Is the urine stronger, smellier, or more dilute and watery then usual?

Any blood in the urine?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry toilet solids not urine

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Stefan,

That does paint a bit of a different picture about your lass.

Can you tell me what the feces she is passing looks like? Diarrhea? Harder then usual?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

diarrahea sometimes, sometimes solid/semi-solid , light brownish

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you again,

Now based off your complete history, Lily's behavior is not too surprising. If she has loose stools, then this will cause her discomfort when passing them. Often cats that are struggling to pass feces (or if they have increased urgency that catches them without warning) will eliminate inappropriately outside the litterbox.

In this situation, if she has abnormal stools that are causing discomfort when passing, then it'd be ideal to consider having her +/- a fecal sample checked. That way you can identify the cause of her abnormal stools and obtain treatment to clear them.

Otherwise, you can try some supportive care to see if you can ease Lily's signs. First, you can consider trying her with an easily digestible diet like boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion powder free). There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in these situations (ie Hill's I/D or Royal Canin's sensitivity). These should be fed as small frequent meals and can just help a compromised gut digest food properly which will allow her to produce normal (hopefully pain free) stools in her litter box.

As well, you can consider using some supportive aids to normalize her fecal consistency. To do so, you can consider adding a bit of fiber to her diet to bulk up her feces. Options include mixing in a spoonful of canned pumpkin or a 1/4 tsp of unflavored metamucil or benefiber. As well, she may benefit from a GI support like Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vet practices; example), Fortiflora (More Info) or Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose) available from your local pharmacy. ( Do avoid using PeptoBismol or any anti-diarrheas that contain aspirin or Loperamide as these can cause adverse signs in cats.) Both safe options will slow diarrhea and the Pro-Fiber has the bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI. So, you can consider trying these as a short term means of trying to normalize her feces and stop the behavior.

Overall if a cat is struggling to pass loose stools, then we can see them start to defecate outside the box. And we do know from her crying that this is an uncomfortable situation for her. Therefore, do try the above supportive care to see if you can help her normalize her feces and thus stop the trigger for her signs. But if we don't find her settling, then consider having a check up and having her vet test a fecal sample to make sure there is nothing infectious causing this issue and thus triggering the signs you are seeing.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )