Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My neighbours cat, who adopted me some years ago has been vomiting

Customer Question

My neighbours cat, who adopted me some years ago has been vomiting at least 4 times a day now for almost 2 weeks. I've had him at his vets twice. The first exam took temp, checked abdomen gave him antibiotic just incase there was infection and an anti vomit injection. Started eating that day and was ok for 3 days then it all started again. Took him back, another vet, another exam an anti vomit and a blood test. Again, started eating and bloods came back clear. I'm now really worried as the whole cycle has started again. There are no worms in his vomit, mainly fluid and at times a little food. In the main he has no appetite. Tippy is 11 and has had good health up til now. Kind Regards. Rosie
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner, Rosie. 11 year old cats vomiting to the extent that Tippy is vomiting need to have their abdomens ultrasounded to better assess their abdominal contents and, in particular, their gastrointestinal tracts. In the great majority of cases, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is diagnosed when the typical bowel wall thickening of IBD is detected with that imaging. Lymphoma - often a sequela to IBD - solid tumors (adenocarcinoma, e.g.) and pancreatitis are also common findings. Pancreatitis can also be detected with a blood test called the specfPL which might not have been run in his blood tests.

If ultrasound isn't available where you live, presumptive therapy for IBD is reasonable and consists of a glucocorticosteroid such as prednisolone and/or the antiinflammatory antibiotic metronidazole. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much Dr Salkin, really appreciate your advice. Will be making another appointment for Tippy tomorrow in the hope of making him well again, this has made the poor soul really miserable. Kind Regards. Rosie
You're quite welcome, Rosie. I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'll speak to you soon.

Please disregard the info request.