Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My cat got into a fight and got bitten on his tail. We went

My cat got into a fight and got bitten on his tail. We went to the local vet on Friday who sedated him and drained the abscess and gave him some antibiotics. We're now at home and giving antibiotics with meals. This afternoon his wound has released some puss (maybe half a teaspoon) with a little blood. Is this expected? He's not keen to be touched.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he licking the wound?
2- Is he strictly indoors?
3- Have you been treating the wound topically?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Yes he has been licking his wound. We've tried to stop him, but it's difficult. He's normally allowed outside but we're keeping him indoors since going to the vet and until he's recovered.
The vet gave us some antibiotics to mix into his food. We've just been trying to clean with warm water.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Duncan, it is very common for bite wounds to become infected (pus). This is what you can do:

1- Need to stop him from licking or he is going to delay healing. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store or vet's office to stop him from licking/gnawing at wound. Do not let him out with the ecollar.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy (chemist) "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to flush the wound 2-3 times a day.

3- After flushing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- Continue to give the oral antibiotics as prescribed by family veterinarian.

5- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter