Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

Hi, I found a cat that was pregnant and we became friends.

Hi, I found a cat that was pregnant and we became friends. The night she went into labor she came over to show me where she was. After that she went Into this whole under a wall and she never came back out for nearly three days. When she did come out her tummy at the sides seemed to be a lot smaller, so I guess she had them under there. I am taking care of the cat making sure she eats 3 times a day and that she has plenty of water/milk. My concern is that I can't seem to hear anything under the wall. I can't physically reach or see the kittens. Is it possible she is looking after a dead litter? She goes back under there all the time I assume to feed them.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

That kitty is lucky to have you around!

Dr. Scarlett :

How long has it been since she delivered the kittens?

Customer: 4 days ago
Dr. Scarlett :

Does she let you pet her? Are you able to check her nipples to see if any milk comes out or if there is some swelling?

Dr. Scarlett :

Kittens are very quiet and sleep a lot. At 4 days old they aren't going to be moving around much, either. I suspect mom has the litter tucked under there and they are all doing well.

Customer: She is very cuddly. I have looked at her nipples no sign of milk but one or two do seem a little big.
Dr. Scarlett :

Definitely keep feeding her kitten food and water (she doesn't need milk if she is eating a good quality kitten food).

Dr. Scarlett :

You can gently squeeze one of the bigger nipples and see if a drop of milk forms. If so, then she is definitely nursing. It is possible, too, that she only had one kitten.

Customer: Should I try and get them out or just leave her to it
Dr. Scarlett :

I would leave them be. If you try to disturb them, mom may move them elsewhere.

Customer: Will it hurt her if I squeeze it?
Dr. Scarlett :

They will start getting more active around 4 weeks of age and you might start to see them at that time. If mom is friendly with you and trusts you, she will let you see them when they are ready.

Dr. Scarlett :

Gentle squeezing shouldn't hurt her--the kittens suck pretty hard! :)

Customer: I am trying to get her to move them into my house. I keep letting her in and I've made a comfortable box with food around it. Will she bring them to me eventually?
Dr. Scarlett :

She might. If the area under the wall is warm, dry, and safe, she may leave them there, too. But once they get older and start moving around, she may be more interested in moving to the box you've provided.

Customer: All i want is to make sure they are ok so I can take them to a vet. And find the kitten or kittens good homes. I have phoned the RSPCA and they will not come to get her as they say " it is a natural occurrence" is there any other services I could give them to when they are old enough so I know they have gone to good homes?
Customer: Also what is good diet to give the cat while she is nursing?
Dr. Scarlett :

The kittens really don't need to be seen by a vet until 6-7 weeks of age. At that point, you should be able to catch them and mom to get them to a vet. They should be tested for feline leukemia, dewormed, and given their first vaccinations. At that point they can also be put up for adoption.

Dr. Scarlett :

Feed a good quality kitten food--stick with a brand name that doesn't contain lots of colored bits. Canned is good as there is more moisture. When the kittens are 4-5 weeks of age, they may start eating the canned food, too.

Customer: So it's not possible for her to be looking after a dead litter?
Dr. Scarlett :

I don't think so. If all the kits were dead, she wouldn't be producing much milk anymore and I really don't think she would be staying with them. They will kick sick ones out of the nest, so if they were all sickly I don't think she would stick around at all.

Customer: Ok, thank you Dr. Scarlett! I will be giving you a top rating! You have out my mind at ease.
Dr. Scarlett :

You are very welcome!

Dr. Scarlett, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.