Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

I wonder if you can help me, my cat had a blocked urethra a

I wonder if you can help me, my cat had a blocked urethra a week ago and was catherised and now has been home for a week with a close eye on him. Since sunday he has been very lazy, drinking normally but having to be force fed food for 2 days now. He also seems to be going to pass urine quite often which he is able to do normally now. Im worried because he hasnt passed a bowel movement since sunday, should i take him to our vets.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 9 years of experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you.
If he is straining to defecate and crying, then I would take him. But since he is having to be force-fed, it is likely that he simply has not eaten enough to need to defecate. I would give it a few more days unless he is straining to defecate and crying. Continue force-feeding him, though, if he is not eating on his own.
I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i took him to the vets as he is struggling and has not gone for 4 days now. he is peeing but i notice his tail is shaking when he does although he does go quite alot and is leaking everywhere. the vet gave him a steroid injection and told me to not force fed him until tomorrow if the injection doesnt work, the vet said it should raise his blood sugar to get him an appetite. im just worried he is not entertaining food at all. how long does it take for the injection to work?

It should start working by now, and you should notice a change in appetite by tonight.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

he had the injection at 17:00pm and its 20:39 now but no difference, it is normal for him to urinate shaking his tail though, im worried about reblockage but he is passing quite a bit of urine aswell.

That is normal for many cats. I would not worry at this time, just give him until tomorrow to start eating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thankyou so much, im just worried about him because he has been poorly for 10 days now but he did nearly die from the blocked urethra as it was 2.5cm blocked and attacking his left kidney. he just wants to be left alone and keeps quiet. he just looks really bloated at the moment is this common aswell?

Well, if your vet did not find him to be impacted when he was seen today, I would not worry about the bloated appearance. Sometimes tensing of abdominal muscles can make them appear bloated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks, ***** ***** him and said he had slight blood in urine but only a little that showed up on urine test strip. he has been given the steroid injection and synulox tablets and got told to see what he is like on and bring him back friday if no improvement. im just worried as our old vet wanted to recath him again and it could have caused him further problems. i trust our new vet but just wanted second opinion, so thankyou.

I would NOT recath him unless he blocks completely. Sounds like your new vet is on the right track.