Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My cat is eating and drinking water. I saw him eating grass

My cat is eating and drinking water. I saw him eating grass yesterday.Last Friday he had advocate flea and worming treatment. He is a large cat so had 1 dose for up to 4kg and a another for over 4kg. I noticed today there was runny faeces at end of faeces with some blood in. Could it be the result of the treatments? He seems fine!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he losing weight?
2- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He does not look as if he is losing weight though hasn't been weighed recently.
We keep him in at night and he seems to stay close to home so not sure he has eaten anything different. He is a hunter though but haven't noticed any signs of bird or mouse!
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Pat, the symptoms that you are desribing are not related to the Advocate. When we see blood in the stool it is a sign of inflammation in the colon, colitis. There are many possible causes for colitis. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Infections, ingestion of a foreign body or even part of a systemic disease. The fact that he is drinking more than usual I would really want to rule out a systemic disease like diabetes, kidney disease, hyperthyroidism, etc.
In this case, to determine the exact underlying cause he will need to be seen by family veterinarian for a hands on examination, blood work and urinalysis as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on examination and test results.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter