Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my cat has licked his chest so much he now has a bald patch

my cat has licked his chest so much he now has a bald patch with two small red marks visible , but they do not look like bites ?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Is he strictly indoors?
3- Are the marks raised or punctured?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1. approx 1 week.

2 both indoor and free to go out whenever he chooses (cat flap).

3 marks are not raised , more like "moles".

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Did this develop quickly within days?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This seems to be a second area , the first now seems to be "healing " I wonder if it is simply a reaction to the flea treatment as suggested in the brochure ? but in answer to your question I would say Yes , it developed quite quickly .

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- What is the name of the medication?
2- Is the area affected the same area where you applied the flea medication?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1.medication called "Fiproline".

2. applied to the back of the neck under his collar , this "bald" area is on his chest well away from the application area.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Frank, fiproline can cause inflammation in the skin but in the area that is applied. I feel pretty comfortable in saying this is not related to the flea medication. Given the quick onset this is an inflammatory response either secondary to things like: A bacterial or fungal infection, insect bite, an injury, etc. to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Need to stop him from licking or he is going to delay healing and promote an infection. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing at affected area. Do not let him outside with the ecollar on.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy (chemist) "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 2-3 days follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter