Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My one year young cat has become very listless, not eating

My one year young cat has become very listless, not eating or drinking very much and is not her normal lively self. She had her first innoculation on 22 July and is due her second shortly but I don't feel she is very well at all. Can you help?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
3- Any other symptoms?
4- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?
5- Can you take her rectal temperature?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1. Since Wednesday morning (one and a half days)

2. No

3. No, other than listlessness, not eating or drinking really

4. Gums pale

5. No but she does seem overly warm

Please help

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, lethargy and decrease appetite are very non-specific symptoms and can be related to many different medical conditions that affect cats. Her having pale gums is not a good finding, this can be the result of: Anemia (decrease red blood cells), poor circulation or dehydration, decrease cardiac output, etc. . Possible causes could be: Infections, ingestion of a foreign body, kidney or liver disease, etc. to name a few causes.
In this case, unfortunately we are very limited as to what you can do at home. She will need to be seen by a veterinarian for a hands on examination, blood work (chemistry profile & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause. Treatment will be based on clinical and diagnostic findings. In the meantime, get her to drink by offering water directly into her mouth with a dropper. Do Not stress her however, do not fight her getting her to drink.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter