Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Hi My name is ***** ***** I would like to ask the following. I

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** I would like to ask the following.
I had my 2 cats vacinated on Wednesday. They where given the cat flue vacine and 1 for feline leukemia. Can you tell me; does the cat flue vacine. Only protect against. the herpes virus and the calcivirus. Or does it also protect against the enteritis virus as well?
How often should these vacined be given. My cats take part in cat show' s. and they request they be protect against all the above except leukemia.
Can the vacine's be given so that they will last 2 years?
B
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Brenda, it would be unusual if a three-way vaccine injection weren't given to your cats. It protects against panleukopenia (feline distemper/what you referred to as enteritis), calicivirus, and feline herpesvirus (FHV-1). Cat "flu" is a misnomer and shouldn't be used. An adult cat very rarely would contract panelukopenia and so the vaccine in adults isn't necessary; unfortunately, it's included in these three-way vaccines as a matter of course. Vaccination against calicivirus and herpesvirus is only partial. There are strains of calicivirus that arise and infection won't be provided by our vaccinations. Because most cats are exposed to herpesvirus before they're vaccinated as kittens, the vaccine isn't fully protective when they're adults. I don't vaccinate at all once cats reach 8 years of age.

To answer your question directly, vaccination every 3 years is now the standard of care. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.