Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience.
14018973

My 13 year old female cat has started to lose weight and large

My 13 year old female cat has started to lose weight and large tufts of hair, she is eating and drinking well. I have a feeling it is hypothyroidism - I am a bit reluctant to take her to the vets as she gets very aggitated and will not take tablets if they were prescribed. What would the treatment be if this was the cause??
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 13 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about Sophie's weight loss. At her age, with still eating and drinking well and having that weight loss, hyperthyroidism would definitely be on the list of rule outs. The other top things for weight loss in older cats are chronic renal disease, diabetes and cancer. I know you are reluctant to have her get to the vet, but to help her be the healthiest that she can be long term, that visit is needed so they can do blood work to screen for those things. If oral medication isn't as good of an option for managing hyperthyroidism, they can have the medication compounded into a gel that gets put into the ear pinna on a twice daily basis. There is also a new diet to manage hyperthyroidism called y/d by Hill's. The key to this diets success is that it alone has to be fed. Some cats can have surgery or radioactive iodine therapy for hyperthyroidism. Here is a good link with hyperlinks that goes over these each in detail.
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=515