Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

well still no eating, we have taken him back to the vets today

well still no eating, we have taken him back to the vets today and his bladder is full and hard, they are wanting to recatherise him and take it from there. what are the chances of recovery after a second catheter as he has no ability to contract his bladder enough at the moment. Just wondered if it was better to be prepared for the worst.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

I'm Dr. Scarlett and have dealt with many blocked kitties. I know you were originally talking with another expert--would you prefer to wait for her or can I try to help you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I would appreciate any information about catherising a second time, the risks of having to do it again and recovery times and chances of recovery.
Thanks in anticipation
It actually is not unusual for a cat to reblock and need to be catheterized a second time. I would say at least 50%+ blocked cats have to be recatheterized within a week.

My usual protocol is to catheterize a blocked cat and leave the catheter in place for 24 hours before removing. I also give the cat SQ fluids to help flush out the bladder and make lots of urine, and give the cat pain medication and a mild sedative to help with pain and urethral spasming. Once the catheter is removed, I keep the cat another day to make sure he is urinating on his own. I usually send the cat home on a prescription canned food, as well as the pain med/sedative and sometimes on another medication to help relax the urethra.

But even so, like I said, about 50% reblock--either the day after removing the catheter the first time or even within a week after going home. So then we sedate the cat and basically start over. Almost all of these cats do very well after the second go-round. By then the food has started to improve bladder health (and dissolve crystals, if that was part of the problem), the cat has relaxed and isn't painful anymore, and the other medications have "kicked in" and started to make a difference.

I can only think of a couple cats that re-blocked a third time; I don't remember the outcome, although I'm sure at least one person opted for euthanasia at that time. But I certainly wouldn't recommend it for you and your kitty at this point.

I'd go with the second catheterization. Make sure to ask your vet about giving buprenorphine and acepromazine, as well as Prazocin and a prescription bladder diet.