Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I think my 16 year old cat has swollowed a 40mg simvastin

Customer Question

I think my 16 year old cat has swollowed a 40mg simvastin tablet, what should I do?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Unfortunately, we don't know a lot about statin ingestion in cats. These drugs have a large safety margin in dogs, so hopefully the situation is not that different.

Scott Nimmo :

My previous experience is that one dose should not be fatal { no guarantees } but you may see a bad gastro-enteritis.

Scott Nimmo :

If this happened within the last hour you should induce vomiting if possible and recover the drug that way, for the sake of speed I will give you alink on how to do this best : LINK

If you fail to induce vomiting yourself then take your cat to an emergency vet without delay as they will easily be able to do this with prescription drugs. They can also give drugs to protect the stomach lining.
I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott