Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Hi i think my seventeen half year old cat may have hyperthyroid

Customer Question

Hi i think my seventeen half year old cat may have hyperthyroid is there any treatment
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about Leo. My name is***** am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
Yes, there is treatment for hyperthyroidism, a medication called methimazole. A few cats do not tolerate it, but most cats do very well on it.
An herb called bugleweed is helpful, but will not treat hyperthyroidism by itself. You need the prescription medication.
There is a diet that is supposed to also get a hyperthyroid cat back to normal, but I have not had much luck with it myself, and many cats won't eat it. It is called Y/D, it comes in canned and dry forms, made by Hills Pet Nutrition.
You do want to treat Leo if he is hyperthyroid, because hyperthyroid cats can develop heart complication from the condition, and can die. It is one of the few easily treated conditions that older cats get; most cats respond really well to the methimazole.
You can only get Y/D and methimazole by prescription from a veterinarian.
Let me know if I can answer anything else.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Paul,
How is Leo doing?

Rebecca