How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Category: Cat
Satisfied Customers: 21656
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376
Type Your Cat Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now

I have a little 2 week old kitten. She has a prolapse.

Resolved Question:

I have a little 2 week old kitten. She has a rectum prolapse. Is there any hope for her?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now a rectal prolapse is an emergency situation when they occur. Her chance of survival will depend how much is out, how long it has been (since the longer its out the more likely it dries/becomes infected), how quick it is replaced, and whether it recurs. In a kitten this small with a condition this severe, it is advisable to get her to the vet as quickly as possible. You will be hard pressed to replace the prolapse yourself and could end up doing much more harm then good (ie perforating the gut causing fatal peritonitis). Therefore, keep the exposed gut tissue moist and gently wrap it in a paper towel for transport to the vet.

The vet can access the severity and if it can be replaced will do so while also treating with anti-inflammatories to reduce tissue inflammation. Further to this, they will likely need to put a ring of sutures (a "purse-string") around the rectum for the short term to prevent recurrence of the prolapse. If the kitten's gut can be replaced and further prolapse halted, then she could survive this.

Finally, just to note in case you were keen to give her a chance, some veterinary practices in our country have office hours today. As well, I wanted to mention that most veterinary practices here do have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are not open. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice. If they are open, you can get her seen today. If they aren't, then they will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet you can find one local to you, you can check the RCVS Register (HERE) to find your local vets or Vets Now (LINK) who are open all nights/weekends. In any case, there are options to give her a chance to survive this (or have her put down humanely if it is already too advanced) right now.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for answering.

It is not far out 6 mm. She is antibiotic

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome, Mette.

Please know that any rectal tissue prolapsed is serious. If only 6 mm is out at the moment, then it does mean she has a better chance of recovery if this is addressed and replaced now, then left for her to strain more with until there is more out. Antibiotics are grand if there is an infection but they aren't going to do anything for the prolapse itself. This needs to be gently placed back in and the associated inflammation and soreness that is making her push it out in the first place needs to be addressed using a kitten safe anti-inflammatory like Metacam. So, it is good that we don't have centimeters out since that would worsen her prognosis but this is still enough to be concerned and we need to address this before she inevitably keeps straining and pushes more out.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )


Dr. B. and other Cat Specialists are ready to help you