Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Our 9 year old cat has brown crust on side of her nostrils

Customer Question

Our 9 year old cat has brown crust on side of her nostrils and a bit on the top of her nose. This has appeared over the last few days. She is eating, energetic and her coat is glossy with no discharge from eyes. Do you know what this could be? Thanks. Grant
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.

Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin Grant, can you upload a close-up photo of Smudge's face to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. Additionally, is Smudge a purely indoor cat?

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You're not likely to be awake at this time and so I'll await your reply. It's 7PM Pacific Daylight Time here.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Salkin,

Many thanks for the quick response. Attached is a photo of Smudge's nose. The brown crust is clearly visible around it. She it outdoors often but typically comes indoors during the night.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Marjorie Grant

Thank you! I suspect that nasal discharge is drying on the sides of her nose and being spread to the top by her tongue. The minimal pathology present doesn't represent anything of note. I would gently clean away the discharge and apply a triple antibiotic ointment...which is sure to be licked away promptly by Smudge!

If these areas worsened in spite of your ministrations, I would entertain an autoimmune skin condition called pemphigus but it's much too early to be worried about something like that.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.