Hello, my 9 year old cat was diagnosed with severe gastro-inflammatory disease & anaemia which was managed and, it would seem, cured. Innoculations were due but not yet done, the vet though she should wait until better to inoculate her. She has now been diagnosed with Pneumonia which was helped with a course of Veraflox. The coughing all but stopped. However, the Veraflox is now finished but she started having severe coughing spasms again - once or twice a day now with noises of fluid as she coughs. Does she need more veraflox or other medication? We are very worried still & the insurance money has all gone. I would so much appreciate your help, best regards, ***** *****
I would like an answer, especially as I have been charged £16 for it.
Firstly I would like to apologise profusely for my negative feedback, as I couldn't locate an answer anywhere, & there are so many spoof sites about. I realise now I was mistaken & realise I was too hasty, sorry.
Thankyou, Dr. Barbara for your kind thoughts. My vet said originally her immune system went haywire & they had to suppress it, giving steroids. Also Synolux for severe gastric inflammatory disease. The anaemia improved apparently & her white blood count improved. She appears to have got over the inflammatory disease, though & is in good spirits again.
The vet has not mentioned any heart defects.
The pneumonia was diagnosed on chest X ray results.
The first Veraflox course was 5 days, & the coughing spams almost disappeared along with the fluid-like sounds. Then she relapsed & is on a 10 day course of Veraflox now. At the moment she has a bad coughing spasm once or twice a day with noise of fluid - her whole body seems to spasm. Apparently the pneumonia is only on one side now, so there is improvement.
I may be able to email a detailed copy of blood test results, if that would help.
Also she has to go back to vet in a few more days, whereupon I can get the answers you require.
I feel now that your response has given us extra hope & reassurance, thank you so much Dr. Barbara.
Thank you so much for your compassionate response, I understand more about her condition now.
I've found a test results sheet from 26th June inflammatory disease diagnosis, don't know if it will shed any light, briefly:
"elevated white cell count & normal red count. White cell changes suggest inflammation.
Ultrasound showed normal layering of the stomach & small intestine less clear & stomach wall mildly thickened. Abdominal lymph nodes were enlarged. Endoscopy showed thickening & oedema of he stomach wall & presence of food despite starvation. Small intestine lumpy & nodular."
As I said as far as I know she is over the inflammatory disease though,so this may be defunct information. A scan revealed a lump of fat pressing on her stomach apparently.
I assumed the Synolux was for the above conditions.
However, back to the pneumonia I see you say its a good sign she responded to the veraflox.
Sindy has been on this 2nd course for 5 days now. Her gums & tongue are pink & appetite good. We're feeding her those little Gourmet tins, wondered if she should be on any special diet after her tummy problems.
Thank you so much for your valued response,it has put our minds at rest a lot
Thank you so much, your responses have been invaluable
Hi Barbara, Sindy is coughing, quite moderately now - not so dramatically, only about twice a day. Our vet said yesterday she should stop the Veraflox as she's worried about side effects - possible blindness. She's now been on this lot of Veraflox for 12 days.
Do you agree with that, or- as you said she should continue for 3 days after recovery?
Thank you very much indeed
She is still coughing a little, 2 or 3 times a day, but is in good spirits generally. She's had Veraflox for 23 days now, so I'll ask the vet if she could have another week on it.
I appreciate your help, Debbie
Sindy is still coughing, just once or twice a day but still seems bright & happy in herself though. She has never coughed before this bout of pneumonia. I note your comments about asthma, this is a bit worrying - would a chest x ray be able to diagnose asthma?
Many thanks for your continued interest
Thank you Barbara. Sindy had 5 days of Veraflox initially, then a break of about 10 days. The 2nd course was 23 days, now finished.
So, I'm wondering whether now we should see how she goes - the coughing seems like a pretty dramatic spasm throughout her body, but is sounding less fluid-like.
Maybe she should have a break from the veraflox now .? Maybe in a couple of weeks time, if she still has the symptoms she could have another short course of Veraflox?
The Xray showed her heart as normal, but with a cloudy area round her chest area, and one side has cleared up apparently.
Many thanks once again for your most valued opinion
Sindy's chest Xray was before the 2nd course of veraflox. Will try the steam treatment, though. If the coughing continues for much longer I will arrange for another chest Xray.
Thank you so much, your responses are invaluable.
Very many thanks Barbara, this online support system has made such a huge difference.
Thank you for your email Barbara, Sindy's condition is still the same, still coughing several times a day.
Think I will take your advice & book another chest X-ray, - altho' I wondered if it is absolutely essential, as she has the diagnosis - would it change anything?
You mentioned Guifenisen - would it be best to try that? The Veraflox seems to have had an effect but not cured, so wondered if you thought it beneficial to try her on the Guifenisen ?
I know pneumonia is very stubborn.
Have already rated you, but will rate again, thanks Debbie
Thankyou. Our vet is a young-ish local vet under the auspices of a specialist so now you've shed more light on the possible causes, I'll relay your info to the specialist & hopefully get to the bottom of this.
Thank you Barbara, your advice is like gold dust!
I emailed the specialist with her current condition & passed on the info you gave me about possible causes.
the only symptom now is the coughing and she is very bright & active in herself. she's had no further treatments but will see if she can have more veraflox now she's had a break from it, or the other medication U suggested. Will try to speak to the specialist this week
Kind regards, debbie
Hi Barbara, the specialist vet - who had your suggestions, then contacted our vet here, so Sindy is going to have a dilator - A kind of atomiser gadget which gives a puff of medication.
Would you say this is the best course of action at this stage?
Sindy Saga update!
Siindy was sick one night so was worried she was reverting to the gastro
inflammatory disease. However, it was a one-off, & so ok. (cross fingers!)
We've been sold a Aerokat aerosol chamber (£90 !!!)
(discovered I could have got one on the internet for £65!
Also VENTOLIN - SALBUTAMOL SULPHATE. Vet said this would open up the airways or something.
However, huge difficulty administering the dose but will persevere.
I thought Ventolin was particularly for asthmatics ?
Perhaps it will help her pneumonia, but as I said before she only coughs a few times a day now ?
Vet doesn't want to repeat X ray just yet.
Best wishes from Debbie
Hi Barbara, Sindy & I are persevering with the Ventolin dilator & now fairly competent at it. However, Sindy is still coughing once or twice a day.
How long do you think she should have the ventolin for?
Thank you so much, once again, for your valued response- its great to have this level of support.
Sindy's condition remains the same, but the coughing is a bit better. She takes the ventolin inhaler pretty well now , she knows it doesn't hurt.
As we are away in Crete this week, & so vet has given us some Prednidale (?) tablets easeily crushed into food, which our neighbour will do.
We'll have to check the cost of another X ray - so far Sindy has cost £4,300! Insurance limit was £4,000 so now we do have to take vet's bills into consideration.
Anyway, Sindy is in good spirits, good appetite & mischievous as usual.
She has lost her voice though so cannot meeiow which is a shame.
Thanks once again for your help Barbara
Best wishes, Debbie
Hi Barbara, Crete was lovely - only 28 degrees!
We returned to find no change with Sindy - still bright in herself, coughing a little & unable to meeiow .
Do you think she should still have the Ventolin dilator - she hasn't had it for a week while we've been away. ?
However, she had a 10 day course of Prednidale.
Yes Barbara your answer makes total sense - she has coughed all along throughout courses of Prednidale. Vet has given us another 5 day course. However, each coughing spasm is shorter now & we only see it once a day - overnight or early morning usually. She's out all day so don't know if she coughs then as well. Certainly seems to have improved though.
Our vet hasn't said Sindy is actually asthmatic, but recommends Ventolin twice daily now.
I'm asking the specialist to re-check all her test results to see if there's something which would indicate why she has this residual cough and has lost her mieeow. Poor poppet!
Many thanks Barbara
Still waiting for vet Claire to ring me with specialist recommendations.
I've not seen Sindy cough for 2 days now.
However, she's been sick twice in the last fortnight - quite a dramatic spasm but its fairly clear liquid & big bits of grass, mainly. She doesn't appear to bring food up.
I was a bit worried in case it was the gastric disease returning
Will contact you when our vet has rang.
Once again thankyou so much for your interest & advice, it has made so much difference & put our minds at rest a lot.
Thank you for your response. I have not heard from my vet or the specialist! That seems a bit off as the specialist particularly said he would look into Sindy's case. Will ring them this week.
However, there is no change - happy in herself, still coughing a little, Ventolin twice a day - does she need to be on it as long a she is coughing?
Many thanks, Barbara.My laptop is having a wobbly! So as I'm not sure if this got to you, I'll repeat it:
Havn't heard from my vet or specialist which I thought was a bit off as he particularly said he would look into her case again.
There's no change with Sindy cat - happy in herself, still coughing here & there, can't mieow, and has Ventolin twice a day - I have no idea how long she should be on Ventolin.
Hi Sindy has had a check up, and vet said her breathing was good & she seems fine. The coughing seemed to stop, so I discontinued the Ventolin. However, she started coughing a bit again during the past couple of days, so started giving her ventolin again twice a day.
Was this the right thing to do?
thank you Barbara, I'll keep an eye on her.
Sindy was off Ventolin for about a week & stopped coughing. Since she started coughing again - altho just a bit, I give her Ventolin every other day & she seems ok.
Thank you so much Barbara. I took Sindy to the vet this week for her innoculations and a check-up and she was pleased with her. If Sindy could talk she would say you are a star, your support has meant a lot.
We miss hearing her mieeeow - she tries though but no sound comes out, so when she tries to mieeow we make the noise for her!
I hope you have a lovely Christmas, best wishes, Debbie