Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I am dog groomer had a client in the other day, she used dettol

Customer Question

I am dog groomer had a client in the other day, she used dettol to Clean dogs ears. Is that safe
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.
Actually, what your client is doing is quite dangerous. Not only is Dettol not appropriate for use in our ears, this is especially dangerous to use on our pets due to the product containing phenols. Phenols are a dangerous chemical for pets as it can actually break down protein in cells. This can lead to erosion through the skin layers in the ear canal. If the chemical is trapped in the ear canal for extended periods this could actually lead to visible ulcers and burns to the skin within the ears. Furthermore, if this owner were to get any of this into the dog's eyes, they could also cause corneal ulcers. And if her dog manages to lick any of this then we'd also have the risk of liver, kidney and nervous system damage (nervous system damage being a major worry if this can erode the ear drum and reach the middle ear and brain). So, this is strongly not advisable and you should consider warning this owner that they are putting their dog at serious risk.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )