Dr Gwen
Dr Gwen, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Ten years experience in critical care, preventative medicine, behavioral, and chronic cases in cats.
21470562

My Cat has died this morning and it seems so expensive to have

Customer Question

My Cat has died this morning and it seems so expensive to have her cremated. I'm not allowed to bury her in the garden, but the vet wants to charge me a lot to cremate her and if I want her ashes the bill goes up by another £125.00
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Gwen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Gwen :

Hello, welcome to Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about Britney passing away and the grief that you are experiencing. One thing that I find will lessen my pain in losing a pet is to have them cremated and have the ashes returned, as you have also pursued. While it is expensive to do this through your veterinarian's office, I should mention that most vet offices do not do the cremations on site and will contract this service out to a specific company. This company is generally the one that sets the cost for cremation, and the veterinarian passes this along to the client. One option you may want to consider is contacting a local human funeral home to see if they will provide cremation services for your cat at a more affordable cost. Good luck, and again, my condolences.