Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

We brought our nine year old house cat to our new home seven

We brought our nine year old house cat to our new home seven weeks ago. She seems content, and has not changed behaviour, but is sick most mornings. Not fur balls, she is bringing up her breakfast. The previous owner advised us she should only eat Hills prescription diet T/D feline dental health dry biscuit in the morning, and she only variety of Whiskers canned meats in the evenings. The only fluid she has is water. I swopped her breakfast to also be Whiskers, and that stopped the sickness for three days. I then re-introduced a smaller quantity of dry, mixed in with the meat, and she has been sick again. Do I permanently withdraw the dry food? Is it possible for her to develope an allergy after so many years? Alternatively, is it grass related? Previously, she would go out into our garden for at least ten minutes most days. We no longer have a garden. Sorry to be so detailed; any advice much appreciated.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

No worries about the details; the more information you provide, the better experts are able to help you.

It sounds like Bonnie may have developed late onset Inflammatory Bowel Disease which is secondary to inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract. This condition is often seen in cats who are fed the same food for a while; they basically develop an intolerance or allergic reaction to ingredients in the food.

The pattern of her vomiting is highly suggestive of such a conditon as is the fact that when you reintroduced her dry food, she started to vomit again.

For now, I wouldn't feed the dry food at all for at least 7-10 days and see what happens. If she doesn't vomit even once, then more than likely this food is to blame.
I typically do recommend canned food for cats with this condition although there probably are dry ones out there which won't trigger the vomiting response.
But, it will be mostly a trial and error process if you do.

Grass ingestion can be responsible for vomiting in some cats since it can be very irritating to the stomach and gastrointestinal tract. The absence of grass in her diet shouldn't cause her to vomit more, though, if this is what you were wondering.

I hope this helps. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Ian:
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

Best of luck with Bonnie. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.