Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

I have just adopted a stray tom from the bus depot I work at.he

Customer Question

I have just adopted a stray tom from the bus depot I work at.he is very affectionate and craves attention following me everywhere I go.if I leave him ,when I return I find him under the sofa and won't come out until I get on my hands and knees enticing him with treats.i suspect it's harking back to living under buses and portacabins or he hates being on his own.would another companion be the answer?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. I love the name Dave. . .and through my many years have not run across a cat named Dave! Congratulations to you and to Dave for providing him a home!

Dr. Barbara :

Obviously, Dave is uncomfortable without you there, and, honestly, it can take cats quite awhile to adjust to a new environment. There are things to do that alleviate his anxieties, but I'm not sure that getting another cat is the answer. How was Dave in his old environment? Did he tend to hang out with other cats there?

Dr. Barbara :

How long have you had Dave in your home?

JACUSTOMER-2mxbatp7- : Dave was in the bus depot for about 2years,we believe his owners lived locally and deserted him when they moved.the depot also has feral cats which he used to fight with.last week he injured his paw so I took him in after a visit to the vets.he always looks concerned when I'm about to go out and when I return he's always under the sofa.last night he slept at the foot of my bed,.came downstairs and I fed him,his tail was up and he looked quite perky,I came downstairs having had a bath and sure enough he was under the sofa.i suspect he thinks it's a bus!!!
Dr. Barbara :

Could be!!! He's used to feeling safe there!

Dr. Barbara :

Since he used to fight with the other cats, he may not be helped by getting another cat. Things that would help him to feel more comfortable when you are gone is first of all time. Cats adjust very slowly to a new environment, so I am glad he has found a safe place, and I am also very glad that he is feeling comfortable with you!

Dr. Barbara :

Feliway is a natural kitty pheromone that can calm cats. This comes in a spray or a room disperser. . .you might try this.

JACUSTOMER-2mxbatp7- : Many thanks from dave
Dr. Barbara :

Also, leaving the radio or TV on when you are gone can be helpful. When you are home, it is not as dead silent as when you are gone.

JACUSTOMER-2mxbatp7- : I'll try that
Dr. Barbara :

Please tell Dave that he is very welcome! One other suggestion to enrich his environment and bring him more peace is to get a kitty tree.

Dr. Barbara :

These are great for scratching and climbing, and they also have a perch high up where Dave could lay. Laying up high is also very calming for cats.

JACUSTOMER-2mxbatp7- : Yes I was about to do so,he's started to have a go at the three piece.will do.
Dr. Barbara :

Lucky Dave! Sorry that I was away a little bit. . .answering some other questions also.

Dr. Barbara :

I really do think that with time, possibly Feliway, a radio left on softly, and a kitty tree that Dave will settle right in to your home comfortably. If he still seems anxious at all in another couple of weeks, we do have anti anxiety drugs available to use on a temporary basis. However, I think you won't need these.