Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
I have to say that I find your lad's situation as concerning as you do. If he has had treatment to address bacterial infections and steroids to reduce airway inflammation and is no better, then he is in a precarious position.
Can you tell me if his vet has checked any bloods or done an xray?
Are his gums nice and pink or pale/white?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that number by 6)?
Thank You for your advice.As I said we did have him with the vet on Friday evening and this stressed him so much getting him into the cat box that it worsened his breathing.I can't bear to see him suffering the way he is and I do think he is near his end.The vet hinted at this but my husband brought him up and wouldn't make the decision without talking to the rest of the family.I will ring the out of practice emergency service and see what we can do.Thank you again for your advice.